I thought I’d do a little update on my experience with Seasonique. I’ve been on it for nine months now, and I’ve been skipping the inactive week since October. All in all, I’m still happy with it. Here are my pros and cons:
– No more periods, ever!
– A relatively stable mood without the ups and downs of a typical cycle
– No weight gain (though that might be more the endo diet than this pill)
– No more nausea. In the first few months of taking this, I had to eat with it, or I was nauseated for hours. Even sometimes when I did take it with food, I would still end up with waves of what I can only think to describe as seasickness. Thankfully, that side effect has subsided and I no longer eat when I take it.
– Spotting and cramping randomly. I’ll go weeks without feeling anything, and then bam, it’ll hit and I never know how long it’s going to last. Sometimes, it’ll only be a day, and other times, it’s the entire months of January and February. Dr. X said this is to be expected, especially since I’m skipping the inactive weeks, and that hopefully with time my body will adjust. The worst part is the contraction-like cramps that shoot down to my feet, which Dr. X said is my body trying to have a period. Those have subsided a lot since I started, but they still come and go without warning.
– Mild acne. I was hoping this one would calm down as my body adjusted, but no such luck. I’m diligent about washing my face, exfoliating, and doing masks, but no matter what I try, I still break out.
– Being scatterbrained. This one is new in the last month or so, but I am starting to feel a little nutty. I lost my cell phone one day and found it in the fridge!
I definitely don’t want to be on birth control pills forever more, but if I have to do a solid two years than I’m overall pleased with Seasonique.